Physical Rehabilitation for Pets
Many of us who have suffered an injury have needed physical therapy, or rehabilitation, as part of our recovery plan. Our pets can benefit in much the same way, and rehab can also play a role in lifelong health and well being for our pets.
Physical rehabilitation is the practice of evaluating and treating physical impairments, functional limitations, and disability. Goals of therapy are improved range of motion, increased strength and endurance, postural corrections, and improved energy and conditioning.
Pets who benefit from physical rehabilitation include:
- Post operative orthopedic or neurologic surgical patients
- Pets recovering from physical injuries
- Pets suffering from osteoarthritis
- Pets with neurologic disorders
- Painful pets
- Pets with gait or postural abnormalities (limping; stiff gait; trouble rising, jumping or sitting)
- Overweight pets
- Pets needing increased fitness or conditioning