Did you know that dogs need blood transfusions to help treat serious illnesses, just like people? Dogs need blood transfusions for many of the same reasons that people do, such as recovery from blood loss during trauma or some surgeries, to recover from some serious illnesses, and for acute issues such as heat stroke.
Your pet can help save lives by becoming a VMC Blood Hound!
Listed below are the requirements for canine blood donors:
• Your dog weighs at least 50lbs • Your dog is between the ages of 1 – 7 years of age. • Your dog is in good health • Your dog is easy going and easy to handle at a veterinary office • Your dog is current on Canine Rabies and Distemper/Parvo Vaccinations (vaccine records must be provided) • Your dog is not receiving any medications • Your dog receives yearly flea and tick preventative • Your dog is spayed or neutered
If your dog meets these requirements, your dog can potentially be a VMC Blood Hound!
As a VMC Blood Hound Donor, your dog (and you!) will receive as a thank you:
- Annual blood testing performed at NO CHARGE, including blood typing, blood Chemistry profile, Complete Blood Count (CBC), thyroid testing, and tests for infectious diseases. This more than a $350 value performed yearly for as long as the donor is in the program and donating on a regular basis.
- One unit of blood or plasma for every unit of blood donated free of charge should illness or injury ever warrant its use (although we hope that our donors stay healthy and don't need this!)
- A VMC Blood Hound leash and other bonus goodies at the time of enrollment.
- A bio and picture on our VMC Blood Hound Facebook and/or webpage.
- A post celebrating your pet’s help in caring for a critically ill pet will be posted on our Facebook page after every donation.
Please follow the steps below if you are interested in having your pet become a blood donor:
Step 1: Complete Application Forms
- Contact us at VMCBloodHounds@vmccny.com and request the Donor Registration and Health History form.
- Complete the Donor Registration and Health History form and return to VMCBloodHounds@vmccny.com
- Send us a copy of your pet’s recent vaccination records to VMCBloodHounds@vmccny.com
Step 2: Temperament Screening
Eligible dogs will be invited to VMC by appointment for an initial assessment regarding ease of handling/temperament of the dog.
Step 3: Free Physical Exam and Blood Tests
1. Dogs from families who are dedicated to fulfilling the donation commitments and meet all the VMC Blood Hound requirements will have a complimentary physical examination. 2. If the dog is noted to be in good health, they will have their blood drawn for further blood testing. These tests will include a blood type, tests to look for underlying infection or organ disease, and tests for infections that can be transmitted through blood transfusions. 3. Owners will be notified of their dog’s blood work results and status as donor dogs.
Step 4: Donations Dogs that pass all the requirements and are selected for the program will be invited to become a VMC Blood Hound. Most donations will need to be made on an Emergency basis and can be as often as every 2-3 months. We will do our best to contact you in a timely manner. However, since emergency need of blood transfusions cannot be predicted, we may ask you to come in to have donations done on nights, weekends, and holidays.