What is Veterinary Critical Care?

The Veterinary Medical Center of CNY is the only private hospital in Central New York to have not only one, but two, full-time Emergency and Critical Care Specialists.


The following information provided by the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care helps address many questions pet owners have about veterinary Emergency and Critical Care specialists (information obtained from http://acvecc.org/): What is a specialist in Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care? A specialist in emergency and critical care is a specially trained veterinarian who is dedicated to treating life-threatening conditions. Yes, they do have additional training! They must first be a graduate of a recognized veterinary school, then receive a minimum (or equivalent) of 3 additional years of intense training in emergency, surgery and critical care through completion of an American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC)-approved training program. This intense program is referred to as a “residency” in emergency and critical care and focuses on the most up-to-date techniques for diagnosis and treatment of life-threatening disease processes in an emergency, and for the critical time while the animal is recovering. The emergency and critical care residency is supervised by mentors who have been through similar training programs and are themselves board-certified Diplomates of the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (DACVECC).

Once the veterinarian has completed these years of specialty residency training, the individual must then pass a tough board -certification examination given by the ACVECC. Upon successful completion of the training and passing of the examination, the veterinarian is a Diplomate of the ACVECC, is termed a “specialist”, and is board-certified in veterinary emergency and critical care.


How do I know if a veterinarian is a specialist in emergency and critical care? There are several ways for you to find an ACVECC Diplomate in your area. First, you may consult the ACVECC web site (http://acvecc.org/), where Diplomates are listed according to geographical location. Second, you may ask your veterinarian if the emergency practice in your area is led by a veterinarian that is an ACVECC Diplomate. Third, if your veterinarian refers your pet to a specialty practice for non-routine surgery, medical care or diagnostics, you can inquire whether there is an ICU with a life support team headed by a specialist in emergency and critical care, should your pet require intensive care and life support.


How can I find a specialist in veterinary emergency and critical care for my pet? First, ask your veterinarian. Any pet that is seriously ill might benefit from this type of care. Animals that have sustained trauma or bite wounds are an obvious example, but a number of other problems are commonly treated. The following is a sampling of the type of patients that routinely benefit from care by an ACVECC Diplomate: • Trauma patients, including those hit by cars, bite, bullet, knife or burn injuries • Any animal that is having trouble breathing • Animals that need a blood transfusion • Any patient that is in shock (signs of shock can include weakness, pale mucous membranes in their mouth, cold extremities, and an abnormal heart rate) • Animals that are having trouble urinating, or are not producing urine • Dogs and cats that need specialized nutritional support because they are unwilling or unable to eat on their own • Animals in which an abnormal heart rhythm is causing problems • Animals with life-threatening neurologic disease such as coma or severe seizures that are not responding to medications • Patients that have had surgery and are not recovering well from anesthesia or are having trouble in the first few post-operative days